Saturday, May 10, 2008

Homemade Carmel Sauce....mmmmm

Some friends and I were talking about how to make homemade carmel sauce the other day and I decided to make some tonight and blog about it (yes, I cooked instead of sewed...just can't seem to get back on that horse this weekend...hhhmm)



So, you start with a can of Evaporated Milk Sweetened Condensed Milk.




(I used fat free so I could pretend this might be healthy!)







Take the paper off of the can and put it in a sauce pan and cover the can completely with water. Do not open the can or puncture it in anyway.








Heat it over moderately high heat until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and allow to bubble for 3-4 hours (depending on how thick you want your carmel). Make sure to keep the can completely covered, add additional water if necessary.





Remove the can from the water (I suggest using tongs!) Put the can (don't open it yet) into the refrigerator to cool.






After several hours you can open the can.....









and you have a sweet yummy carmelly gooey delicious sauce!!








And now for the best part.......mmmm
Mine came out a little thicker than I intended. This would've been a good one to pour in a pie shell and make carmel pie - but I want to dip apples in it. So, I'll just spoon some out and microwave it for a few seconds and it'll thin out a bit! Now - go make some carmel!!!
~Jessica

2 comments:

Mortimer's Mom said...

that is the crasiest thing! I have to try that....

SandyQuilts said...

I have never heard of doing such a thing in my life ... fat free evaporated milk makes carmel sauce.... hmmm are you sure?